Stroll the only Original French Colonial Village left in the United States

Beauvais-Amoureux House

The Jean Baptiste Ste. Gemme Beauvais House (historical name), Amoureux House was built over-looking Le Grand Champ agricultural fields in 1792. This is a French creole vernacular post in ground (poteaux-enterre) construction one of three in Ste. Genevieve and only five in the US. Its cedar log walls are set directly into the earth, without a foundation. The roof system consists of king-post trusses and longitudinal wind braces. The house is located at 327 St. Mary Road and is open occasionally to the public.

The Bequette - Ribault House

The Jean Baptiste Bequette House (historical name), Bequette-Ribault House was built over-looking the Le Grand Champ agricultural fields c1780s. This French creole vernacular post in the ground is number three of three in Ste. Genevieve and of only five in the US. Much of the fabric of the house is intact. It is a medium-sized (about 36 feet long) creole house with a central chimney. The original hipped roof with king-post trusses and the encircling gallery have been restored by the Wilhauk family. This house is located at 351 St. Mary Rd and is open occasionally to the public.

The Bolduc House Museum

The Bolduc House was the first authentically restored historic structure in Ste. Genevieve - an outstanding example of French colonial architecture. Built in 1770 out near the river on the Le Grand Champ field by Louis Bolduc, a Canadian lead miner, merchant and planter. The house is of vertical log construction but is a post on solle or foundation. The house features a distinctive stockade fence, galleries and hip roof. After the great flood of 1783 the house was taken apart, and reassembled in its present location in 1784. The house, located at 123 S. Main, is open to the public April thru October and is "owned by the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in Missouri."

The Bolduc-LeMeilleur House

The Rene LeMeilleur House (historical name) was first built in 1820 of heavy-timber frame construction. Like the Bolduc House next door this house has been restored. Old photos show that this house was once a two-story, frame I-house. As restored, it is a single story, creole style house built by the grandson-in-law of Louis Bolduc. The walls are constructed according to American practices, that is, they consist of widely spaced, hand-hewn posts rather than creole vertical log construction. LeMeilleur died shortly after the house was built and it passed to his mother-in-law, the widow of Louis Bolduc. It was eventually acquired by Jean Baptiste Valle who deeded it to the Sisters of Loretto in 1837. They occupied the building for many years. In the 1950s it was a used car lot. Located at the corner of Market and Main it is owned by the Colonial Dames and open to the public with the Bolduc House.

The Commandant's House

The Jean Baptiste Valle House (historical name) is a French creole vernacular vertical log construction. This house belonged to the last commandant of Ste. Genevieve and was a center for government activity durning the final days of Spanish rule before the French took back the territory and sold it to the Americans. Jean Baptiste Valle, its owner, came from colonial Ste. Geneveieve's leading family, which had prospered in mining and mercantile business. Remnants of an early garden served as a model for the present garden. Not open to the public.

The Beauvais House

The Vital Ste. Gemme Beauvais House (historical name) Beauvais House was built out in the Le Grand Champ field and moved to its present location 1792. This French creole vernacular post in ground construction is number two of the three extant post in ground houses in Ste. Genevieve. The interior contains an early mantelpiece with exposed beam ceiling. Located at 104 S. Main Not open to the public and currently under private restoration.

The Felix Valle State Historic Site

The Jacob Philipson House (historic name) is a one and one-half story, side gable, limestone dwelling with a merchant store and family quarters. This facility gave Philipson an opportunity to establish a business in the town trading manufactured goods for the fur pelts and lead ore obtained in the Missouri territory. Philipson sold the house in 1824 to the son of Francois Valle, Jean Baptiste Valle. Felix Valle, the fourth son of Jean Baptiste became the owner in 1835. The house, located at the corner of Merchant and Second Street is open to the public all year and is operated by the Missouri Department of Natural Resources.

The Greentree Tavern

The Nicholas Janis/ Janis-Zigler House (historic name) is a fine example of a French Colonial vertical log home on stone foundation. A typical French Colonial gallery extends along three sides of the house. The gallery has red cedar hand hewn post. Secondary rafters extends over the gallery giving the characteristic double pitch to the roof. It is belived that the first Masonic Lodge west of the Mississippi resided in the building around 1809. Located at 241 St. Mary's road Not open to the public and currently under private restoration.

For more information on these topics click here

Ste. Genevieve Missouri 63670
Web-site: www.ste-genevieve.com
Email:info@ste-genevieve.com